Temazepam 20mg belongs to a group of medicines called benzodiazepines.
It’s used to treat sleeping problems (insomnia).
It can also be taken to help you relax before an operation or other medical or dental treatments. This is known as a pre-med.
It works by increasing the levels of a calming chemical in your brain called gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA).
It comes as tablets or as a liquid that you swallow.
Temazepam is available on prescription only.
What is the used of temazepam 20mg
Temazepam is used on a short-term basis to treat insomnia (difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep). Temazepam is in a class of medications called benzodiazepines. It works by slowing activity in the brain to allow sleep
- Temazepam 20mg usually starts to work after around 30 minutes. The effect lasts for around 7 to 8 hours.
- The most common side effects of temazepam include feeling drowsy or lightheaded, and having a dry mouth.
- It’s not recommended to use temazepam for longer than 4 weeks. If you take it for too long it’s possible that you could get addicted.
- If temazepam affects your eyesight or makes you feel sleepy, dizzy or confused, do not drive, ride a bike, or use tools or machines until you feel OK again.
- Do not drink alcohol when taking temazepam. It can make you sleep very deeply. You may have breathing problems and difficulty waking up.
Who can and cannot take temazepam
Who can take temazepam
Most adults can take temazepam 20mg for sleeping problems.
Adults and young people over the age of 12 years can take it as a pre-med before an operation or procedure.
Who may not be able to take temazepam 20mg
Temazepam is not suitable for some people. To make sure it’s safe for you, tell your doctor before starting to take temazepam if you:
- have ever had an allergic reaction to temazepam or any other medicine
- have myasthenia gravis, a condition that causes muscle weakness
- have sleep apnoea, a condition that causes breathing problems when you’re asleep
- have severe lung or liver problems
- have a mental health problem, such as depression, obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), personality disorder or thoughts of suicide
- have acute narrow angle glaucoma, a condition that affects the eye
- are trying to get pregnant, are already pregnant or breastfeeding
How and when to take temazepam 20mg
Follow your doctor’s advice, and the instructions that come with your medicine.
Dosage and strength
Temazepam comes as 10mg and 20mg tablets. Temazepam liquid contains 10mg of temazepam in each 5ml.
The usual dose of temazepam for sleep problems is 10mg to 20mg, taken once a day.
In some cases, your doctor may prescribe a higher dose of 30mg to 40mg.
If you’re over 65 and at risk of falling over, your dose may be lower.
How to take it
You’ll usually take temazepam 20mg once a day, half an hour before bedtime.
It’s important to take it exactly as your doctor has told you. Your doctor may recommend taking it only 2 or 3 nights a week.
Take temazepam tablets or liquid with a drink of water. You can take it with or without food.
Liquid temazepam 20mg comes with a plastic syringe or spoon to help you take the right amount. If you do not have a syringe or spoon, ask your pharmacist for one. Do not use a kitchen teaspoon as it will not measure the right amount.
How long to take it for
You’ll usually only take temazepam for a short time, from a few days to 4 weeks.
If you forget to take it
If you forget to take it by bedtime, just skip the missed dose and start again the next night.
If you take too much
Taking more than your prescribed dose of temazepam can be dangerous. It can make you very sleepy, and affect your balance and speech. You could have difficulty breathing, especially if you have taken other medicines or alcohol at the same time.
What are the side effects of temazepam 20mg
Like all medicines, temazepam can cause side effects, although not everyone gets them.
Common side effects
These common side effects of temazepam happen in more than 1 in 100 people. There are things you can do to help cope with them:
Disturbed sleep (such as vivid dreams)
Feeling drowsy, tired, less alert or “hungover” the next day
Feeling lightheaded, unsteady or dizzy
A dry mouth
Speak to a doctor or pharmacist if the advice on how to cope does not help and a side effect is still bothering you or does not go away.
Serious side effects
It happens rarely, but some people have serious side effects when taking temazepam.
Tell a doctor or contact 111 straight away if you get any of the following side effects:
- the whites of your eyes turn yellow, or your skin turns yellow although this may be less obvious on brown or black skin (jaundice) – this can be a sign of liver problems
- difficulty peeing or peeing less than usual
- noticeable heartbeats (palpitations)
- changes in the way you feel or act, such as feeling numb or restless, agitated or aggressive or acting inappropriately
- you think things that are not true (delusions) or you see or hear things that are not there (hallucinations)
- poor co-ordination or weak muscles
- slurred speech
- memory loss or confusion
Pregnancy, breastfeeding and fertility while taking temazepam 20mg
Temazepam and pregnancy
Temazepam is not usually recommended during pregnancy. Some, but not all, studies have linked temazepam to problems with the baby’s development. Taking it towards the end of pregnancy may also make your baby drowsy after they’re born.
If you become pregnant while taking temazepam, speak to your doctor. They’ll want to review your medicine.
You may need to keep taking temazepam during pregnancy to remain well.
Your doctor can explain the risks and the benefits to help you decide which treatment is best for you and your baby.
Temazepam and breastfeeding
If you’re having sleeping problems, talk to your doctor or pharmacist as there may be other ways of improving your sleep without taking temazepam.
But if your doctor or health visitor says your baby is healthy, you can take temazepam during breastfeeding. It’s better to only take occasional low doses, and only for a short time.
Temazepam passes into breast milk in very small amounts, and it has not been known to cause any side effects in breastfed babies. However, there is a very small risk that it might make your baby sleepy too. It’s important not to share a bed with your baby until you have finished taking temazepam.
If you take temazepam while you’re breastfeeding and you notice that your baby is not feeding as well as usual, or seems unusually sleepy, or you have any other concerns about your baby, talk to your health visitor, midwife, pharmacist or doctor as soon as possible.
Temazepam and fertility
There’s no evidence to suggest that taking temazepam reduces fertility in either men or women.
But speak to a pharmacist or your doctor if you’re trying to get pregnant. They will want to review your treatment.
Temazepam 20mg - Medsforsale
Used of temazepam 20mg Temazepam is used on a short-term basis to treat insomnia (difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep). It works by slowing activity in the brain to allow sleep
Product Currency: USD
Product Price: 130
Product In-Stock: InStock